Sunday 2 March 2014

My Tried & Tested Mascaras - Review

Mascara is definitely a make up essential for me since I have the shortest, sparsest most pathetic lashes known to mankind. For me, a mascara should provide good length, build up lots of volume fast, be able to hold a curl, be super black and not smudge. I also prefer something that isn’t waterproof so I don’t have to pull and tug at my eyes when removing it at the end of the day. As you can see, I am super picky when it comes to mascara so when I find something I love, I tend to stick to it. These are the mascaras that I currently have in my collection. Some I LOVE, some I like, some are... meh. Anyway, here are my thoughts on each -









Maxfactor Masterpiece MAX  - £9.99

This has been my #1 go-to mascara for the last.. maybe 5 years? It’s a firm favourite of mine because it ticks all the boxes and can be easily bought at Boots or Superdrug. It's often overshadowed by the False Lash Effect mascara that everyone raves about but I can definitely vouch for the Masterpiece max and tell you that it's 10X better. The formulation is a little wet at first, but after it’s dried out a bit.. it’s mascara perfection. The wand is a nice normal size and is slightly tapered at the end which helps coat those tiny lashes. Only downside is the price. It is slightly more expensive than other drugstore mascaras, so buying this every couple of months for the last 5 years has not been cheap!
8/10



CoverGirl Lash Perfection - $5+

This is basically a dupe for my MF Masterpiece Max mascara but at about half the price. Maxfactor and CoverGirl are sister companies so all their products are practically the same. So for those who lust over CG or MF products and believes you can’t get them where you live, think again! CG is not available in the UK so I stock up like a crazy woman whenever I'm in the US to save a bit of money. I have a feeling that it's being discontinued since I couldn't find a proper link to it but you can buy it on ebay.
8/10



Maybelline The Volum’ Express Falsies Flared - £7.99

I don’t love this mascara but I don’t hate it. It really doesn't do anything worthwhile when used alone but is lovely when layered on top of my MF Masterpiece Max or CG Lash Perfection. I find the curved brush helps fan out my lashes and prevents any clumpy build up. I'd say this would be a good pick for those with decent or long lashes out there. 
6/10



L’oreal Voluminous in Blackest Black - £8.49

This mascara is a cult favourite among the beauty community and so naturally, I had very high expectations. Sadly, this didn’t live up to the hype - the formula was too wet, it barely held up a curl and got super clumpy super fast. Again, I’d imagine this would be perfect for you lucky long lashed gals out there. But for us short lashed ladies, it just doesn't cut the cheese. 
2/10



Make Up Forever Smokey Lash - $23.00

This is everything I’d want in a mascara AND more but the price forces me to save it for special occasions. If I were a woman of baller status, I would buy this all day err day for the rest of my life. Like the MF mascara, it performs best when it’s slightly dried out. The brush has thick dense bristles that help give AMAZING volume, length & curl. This takes my lashes from zero to hero in no time and gives the illusion of wearing falsies. It performs better than my MF mascara but of course it has its downsides. It’s difficult to get in the UK (Sephora now ships to the UK but at £10 on orders over £75 :/) and the price makes me want to cry. Boo, MUFE you whore.
9/10 


MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash - £14.00

The rose gold packaging is gorgeous but other than that, this mascara fails to impress. It weighs down my lashes and provides no volume or length. However, it’s slim brush and sparse bristles makes it nice for defining and separating the lashes. It’s definitely not up to my standards but I will be keeping it in my collection for them natural days. 
5/10


Benefit’s They’re Real!- £19.50

This one is good but, for the price, it’s not good enough. It gives nice length, definition & lift, but doesn’t provide the volume I want. I see what Benefit was trying to do here by merging a regular plastic wand with a spiked tip (resembling the Givenchy Phenomen’Eyes mascara). Great concept but these bristles are hella sharp and makes applying mascara a little scary. Once you suck it up, it does a fine job but nothing close to resembling the false lash effect that it claims to provide. 
7/10






No comments:

Post a Comment