Thursday 10 July 2014

Eyebrows 101

Eyebrows can really make or break your look so it’s important that you groom and fill them in correctly. In this post, I’ve listed some Do’s and Don’t, as well as discussing the brow products I use and tips on how to maintain your brows. Hope this helps!



Do's

  • DO use light strokes - you want to replicate brow hairs when filling them in so using a light hand will give you the best, most natural results.
  • DO follow your natural eyebrow shape - I think we’ve all seen this diagram before, but here it is again if you’ve forgotten! General rule of thumb: Subtle, delicate facial features = slightly thinner brows. Defined features = thicker brows. Rounder faces = higher arch, Longer faces = softer arch.
  • DO use the right brow colour - quick guide: dark hair = dark brown, light hair = ashy, redheads = auburn/ashy
  • DO use a spoolie - it grooms your brows before applying product and blurs any harsh lines after
  • DO use brow gel - if you lack in eyebrow hairs, then a coloured brow gel with fibres like the Benefit Gimmie Brow Gel would be a good pick. Unruly brows like mine would need a heavy duty brow gel/clear mascara to keep those babies in place!


Don’ts

  • DON'T over-tweeze - this is probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make with your brows and unfortunately, it’s a crime that I’ve been guilty of in the past #browregrets. It looks unnatural, distracts from your whole look and can actually age the face.
  • DON’T over fill - yet another common mistake that many people make. You don’t want them to look drawn on so use light strokes and concentrate the colour at the bottom and outer section of your brows. Using a powder will also give you an easier, more natural application. 
  • DON’T draw on one single line - say NO to chola or tadpole eyebrows because it is not cute! It looks very harsh and unnatural. 
  • DON'T use a brow pencil that is too warm - I’ve seen this happen quite a lot recently. If you have red/auburn hair, then a warm pencil is the way to go but most of the time it makes brows appear too red. Go in with an ashy/khaki-tinged pencil to even out the colour and give your brows more depth.

My Fave Brow Products 

  • Mac Chromographic pencil in nw25/nc30 (£14.00). I run this through my brow bone for a natural highlight and added definition to my brow shape. I blend this in with my MAC 242 brush before I apply any product to my brows.
  • KIKO Precision brow pencil in 01 Brunettes (£5.90) - This thin and precise pencil is perfect for faking brow hairs. It also comes with a spoolie/brow comb and pencil sharpener. Score!
  • Matte brown eyeshadow from the Sleek Au Natural palette (£7.99) - Any matte dark brown shadow will do to be honest. I apply this with my Anastasia #7 mini duo brush and it works a dream. It's a combo that I have used for years and it has never failed me. 
  • Collection Clear Mascara (£1.99) similar one here - last but not least, and presto, you've got yourself these brows...



My Brow Maintenance Routine

  • I tweeze my brows every other day with my Tweezerman tweezers - they are the best tweezers, since they're nice and sharp. You can read my mini review on them here. I've been tweezing my brows since I was about 14 so I'm pretty much desensitised from the pain. If the pain is something you're concerned about, try tweezing after you shower; the steam will open up your pores, making the hairs easier to pull out.
  • Whenever I get a few long hairs sticking up, I trim them with small nail scissors. Don't cut them too short since that could ruin the shape. Trim small pieces at a time and make sure it blends in well with the rest of your brows
  • My brows grow too fast for it to be waxed or threaded regularly so I tend to just tweeze myself. I would however recommend threading or waxing for beginners or when you've let your brows go for a good couple of weeks (we've all been there..ha!)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment